a spongey brain damaging anti-gravity floating kind've weekend.. a weekend in a haze.. research for a song needing a sense of closure.. an exercise in walking comatose.. living the world of the living dead.. coconuts.. vomiting knitted puppets.. screaming kung-fu guitar antics.. howlingly spicey noodles.. dim memories.. yeah.. um.. look at the photo's.. I swear my brain got lost in there somewhere..
things of note..
1. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - saw the movie, had already read the books (aaages ago), and yeah.. definitely some funny bits, dug the stoner sense of humour of it.. but, considering I wuz one of those arseholes who've "read the book".. it obviously didn't quite live up to me lofty expectations.. then again, I wuz expecting all 5 books of the "trilogy" to appear in the one movie.. and something a bit more "epic".. this very much felt like an update of the classic tv series (in it's episodic flow.. and in the cool lo-fi special effects of it.. ie: no CGI aliens.. puppets! YAY puppets!.. I like puppets!) so, at least this way.. I've got sequels to look forward to.. I also should note.. I didn't understand a freakin' word Mos Def said thru the entire movie.. I also noticed one of the speakers in the cinema wuz making this crazy poppin' crackling sound.. so maybe this is why some of the dialogue wuz totally lost on me.. kinda like that time I saw Star Wars - Attack of the Clones, in a tiny shithole cinema on Jetty Road.. and they'd fucked up the projection of it.. so all the actors sounded like chipmunks.. (yeah, George Lucas with all his anal THX cinematics n shit would've been pissed..).. so, yeah.. all in all.. a cool enough movie.. didn't quite live up to me expectations.. but, people who've never read the book, will really really like it.. they'll piss 'emselves larfing.. just make sure to get a bit drunk and / or stoned beforehand.. and you'll trip balls watching it..
2. combining green wookie in equal liberal doses with kava.. will make you feel like a big walking blob of plasticine.. still can't get over the fact I'm drinking something that tastes like dirt, out've a freaking coconut (or as Stuckey jokingly noted: "hey.. we're drinking their tap water!").. as a result I hardly drank any beer on the Friday night (after the movie).. coz the other shit has already got me blurry and all antigravity wacky..
3. apparently I was in Supermild on Friday night.. but.. didn't really remember much of it.. I did notice there was a lot of stairs tho'.. and walking up / down them.. rather akin to maneouvering a marrionet string puppet (ie: Thunderbirds, that wacky Team America puppet movie).. yeah, thankfully that shit wore off reasonably quickly..
4. is the Jade Monkey the new "Rhino Room"? and is the Rhino Room, now the old Madlove Bar.. thus relegated to the dustbin of late-night stoner miniature venues..? yeah.. coz.. I seem to wind up in the Jade Monkey a LOT of late (as you'll note by all those band photo's each weekend.. with that same freaking chandelier..).. still, the bartender mysteriously always produces my exact choice of beer when I turn up to the bar.. without me even mentioning a word.. aaaah yes, I am indeed a career alcoholic :)
5. saw this perth band, "Straight to Video".. who pretty much take the award this weekend for the craziest live band witnessed.. somewhat akin to a midget Bruce Lee fronting the Dead Kennedy's on PCP's.. freaking hallucinations about bats, vampire teeth, howling piranhas.. hammering psychotic / totally disjointed guitar carnage.. etc.. etc.. yeah, if you see 'em around yer neck of the woods.. go check 'em out..
6. Noodle Box.. my brief #1 drunken late night munchies location.. it still amazes me I could actually operate chopsticks with precision ease at 3AM after waaay too many beers.. although, next time I order from that computer screen thingy.. I should remember.. "Medium" spice.. actually means.. "crazy mouth burning volcanic..".. weird.. and to think I'm normally a master of this spice thing..
yeah.. so that wuz this weekend of the lo-fi'ness..
one wonders wot next weekend brings?
Previously on Spoz's Rant: Midnite Vultures