:: Wednesday, May 25, 2005
SURE SIGNS A SITH LORD IS CORRUPTING YOUR REPUBLIC
1. when the former brilliance that was electronic dance music, is reduced to freaking CGI animated cartoon advertised ringtones.. seriously, if I see another fucking JAMSTER mobile advert, with yet another vomitingly cute CGI dragon, drug addled frog with blacked out genitalia, white kitten, tiny yellow canary or retarded demon singing along to some retarded oldskool rave style techno cheese soundtrack.. I'm gonna go fucking hostile on their arse.. I'm not gonna BUY your FUCKING RINGTONES.. so FUCKOFF OUT'VE ME DAMN FACE!!!
2. when people are more than willing to spend $5 for ringtones like this, thus making "ringtones" the most profitable aspect of the music industry, despite the fact your paying 5 times as much for a 20 second snippet of your fave top 40 tune.. (if you thought pop music wuz a souless commercialised money grabbing enterprise.. this is much worse..) and at the same time, this same record industry that's ripping us off blind with ringtones of talentless top40 shite are sueing people who are smart enough to find their music for free..
3. advert banners popping up within your tv show, instead of waiting until the freaking ADVERT BREAK.. and then realising your 1 hour tv show is already only 40 minutes long with 20 minutes of filler.. and not only that, but your watching a reality tv show.. full of people who can't act, in fact don't do anything, but sit around and talk shit.. in what amounts to a carefully crafted mass product placement for junkfood, movie promotion tie-ins, feminine hygeine products.. and hey look another popstar who has a reality tv show is trying to sell an album about her angst about being a reality tv star.. so don't do drugs.. mmmkay?
4. Australian Idol is followed by the X-Factor, the X Factor is followed by American Idol, American Idol is replaced by Australian Idol.. the song remains the same.. over and over on constant repeat in your brain turning it to mush.. yet since people are sheep enough to buy these albums like idiots when they're released.. they couldn't care less if we don't remember who Casey Donovan is.. or who'ever the fuck won the 3rd showing of Popstars.. or the X-Factor for that matter.. shave the attention spans shorter and shorter.. bring back the 80's again and again.. roll in the money by the barrelful.. just don't give a fuck..
5. you're interrupted from your reality tv show, advertising shitty ringtones you don't want.. by a telemarketer, selling you MORE shit you don't need..
6. you realise, that a career in telemarketing or making shitty ringtones is probably the only jobs you're gonna be able to get, thus perpetuating the whole fucked up system..
7. when you read studies that show 90% of people hate their job.. and then realise, 90% of the food you eat, the services you depend on, the whole infrastructure of your society.. is kept in place by people who hate it.. so it's no wonder so much stuff in this world is (a) bad for our health, (b) bad for the environment.. consider that the next time you eat at MacDonalds.. and then you begin to wonder.. with the 10% who love their job.. they're the ones who RUN the place.. (and likely are running it into the ground.. coz instead of caring about what kinda job they're doing.. all they care about is (a) how much money (b) share prices (c) record sales (d) box office (e) votes.. )
8. when a film's sole worth is in how much money it makes at the box office in the first weekend.. when every movie is a rehash of a tv adaptation of the comic of the original 70's version of the sequel to the prequel to the star vehicle for the pop star who used to be a soapie actress who wants to break into film.. when a CGI generated alien made by a team of computer engineers with less combined personality than a doorknob does a better acting job than a real life and respected actor who's reduced to a cardboard cutout in the acting stakes.. coz all he/she has to work from, is a black cross marked out on a blue screen in a soundstage.. what's the plot? who wrote this? who's the director? who cares! here's another fight scene with 100,000 CGI soldiers! and yay.. explosions!
9. when various political groups are calling for a boycott of the latest Star Wars film, coz some of the plot content seems too close to current political reality.. since when should politics be concerned with a movie set "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away"?
and one thing that's really starting to horrify me.. is the concept of "youth / counter culture" now.. I mean, not to sound like I'm freaking ancient and fossilising right in front of your eyes like that dude from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade who drinks the "wrong cup".. but, "back in the day".. we could pretend we were living the revolution against the establishment.. music ya parents hated.. doing shit you weren't meant to do.. fucking shit up.. messing with the system.. affecting real change.. but now? where the FUCK has it gone?
when "Youth" becomes a marketable demographic.. when "counter culture" becomes "bean counter culture" it becomes something they can control.. when MTV tells you what to listen to, what to buy, what to wear, what to eat (gotta love corporate sponsorship.. (take note how many pop stars use "SONY" in their music videos.. or all of those ipod, pepsi, nike promo tie-ins.. ) when all the pop stars are devoutly religious, thank god in their acceptance speeches, don't believe in sex before marriage.. make public service announcements that "drugs are bad.. mmmkay!" when they become ROLE MODELS.. role models to support a commercial ideal.. to support political elections.. when it's not about revolution.. or anarchy.. or pissing THEM off.. but regurgitation of yet another 80's cash in.. (coz that way ya parents will like it too!) when all the small rock venues are shut down and replaced by poker machines so real bands don't have as much a chance to get noticed, coz all we see are all those tv manufactured / flash in the pan pop stars who race to the top of the charts only to be forgotten when there's no more profit to be made.. when the University's become too expensive.. user pays student unionism.. higher fees.. making university nothing more than vocational training.. take higher education away from people who WONT vote conservative.. if we passify the youth.. if we make 'em our sheep to easily manipulated and mass market conservative ideals.. where then is the voice of dissent? the revolution? do we brand them all as dole bludgers or send them off to fictional wars instead..? and if they're all medicated on ritalin, prozac, xanax.. given corective lenses and attitude adjustments.. will they give a shit? whilst the rest of us hope to bury the horror in drugs made illegal coz obviously they can't profit on it like they can cigarettes..
yeah.. not to sound like a total loon here.. but.. this smells like a plan here.. something almost fictionally Sith Lord in magnitude..
where's Yoda when ya need 'im dammit?
:: Spoz 6:02 PM |