:: Saturday, July 03, 2004
SPOZ ROADTESTS - "AMBER ALE"
*ow my freakin' cranium*.. yes, that's right kiddies, SPOZ went and roadtested another "new" product last night - James Squire's AMBER ALE.. (that crazy beer on tap in some Adelaide pubs with the really dumb swirly cursive font..) risking life, limb and liver to bring you the goods.. so.. wot are my thoughts?
- the logo sucks.. it's really really gay, all swirly n cursive and light brown, so gay its an affront to all gay people who should immediately send the QUEER EYE fab 5 to beat 'em senseless over the head with matching furniture ensembles..
- it's this freakish deep red colour.. which is kinda really damn cool.. if they could make the shit glow in the dark, it'd really make up for the crap logo and I'd be likely to drink it more often..
- it tastes midway between a DARK ALE, vegemite on toast, cheap homebrew and something in the more subtle CARLTON DRAFT family.. it doesn't punch you square in the balls with a brass knuckle duster, nor does it tickle the gag reflex with a total LACK of *ahem.. cough.. BUDWEISER* taste.. but sits somewhat squarely in the middle of the semi-strong flavour catagory without really annoying you with it.. it IS unique in flavour.. and hey, I like that.. it's like it wants to be the GUINNESS of beer.. or somethin'..
- it packs a punch.. somewhat like a DARK ALE tends to wallup you around the head with fuzzy sofa cushions after one too many rounds.. yup, this stuff has the goods.. and here I wuz, silly me, treating it like it wuz PALE ALE.. but, it still doesn't quite match the ferocity of a DARK ALE or a few rounds of GUINNESS.. so no trip to the paramedics for me.. but it DID get me quick damn silly.. NICE ONE GUYS!!
- it didn't kill me the day after - hangover is exceptionally mild, perhaps a little hairier than a totally non-existent PALE ALE hangover.. slight headache, slight fuzzy tongue, a bit of sloshy in the stomach and not wanting to reach for solid foods.. but, all in all.. quite a cheerful braindamage the next day.. I actually ENJOY this hangover.. sharp sunlight seems to please it.. and loud music doesn't aggravate it.. so YAY..
my verdict? - it's a damn wacky red brew, worth a regular if not for the really gay logo on the bar taps that makes you feel kinda embarassed to ask for it.. so, THUMBS UP..
:: Spoz 4:20 PM |