:: Thursday, May 06, 2004
SHORT TERM MEMORY LOSS? anyone?
has anyone else noticed how many movies released lately, all seem to be about memory?.. specifically memory loss? we've got this weird obsession with it lately.. and it's not JUST movies either.. damn thing ends up as a season long plotline in the tv show ALIAS - agent Sydney Bristow loses 2 years of her memory.. blah blah blah.. I mean.. wot the fuck is up with this? it's not just a fad.. it can't be.. it's too WEIRD a thing to make a fad.. perhaps our collective human psyche is trying to tell us something.. perhaps we as a mono-culture.. are forgetting something?
sure.. you might think I'm rambling.. that I'm a raving loony.. (and sure, that's assumed knowledge to ANYONE who reads this junk..) so, I'll make a list to prove my point..
(if I can remember them all.. hahahahahaha)
- psychiatrist has a 3 day memory blackout.. wakes up as a patient accused of murder..
- Ashton Kutcher has problems remembering his childhood, uses journal to travel back in time and fuck with his present - like butterfly wings flapping in tokyo causing a hurricane in manhattan.. only with really BAD acting..
- Ben Affleck is paid to forget things.. like perhaps his whole J-Lo thing..
ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND
- Jim Carrey's girlfriend pays to have her memory of him wiped.. he does the same and soon regrets it..
50 FIRST DATES
- Drew Barrymore has a short term memory problem.. and eh, did anyone GIVE A SHIT about this movie?
- a movie ALL about memory loss.. watching it soon causes you to lose your mind trying to understand it..
- the classic that likely started this junk (if it IS a fad) basic premise - an aneorexic Guy Pierce has short term memory problems.. thus uses polaroid camera and tattoos to remember things.. whole film played in reverse scene sequence just to really confuse us..
I mean.. shit.. I'm likely forgettin' a few here..
but isn't this just gettin' a bit TOO nuts..
as a creepy parallel I've been reading up on memory lately.. (NEW SCIENTIST mostly) and apparently they've recently developed a new drug you can use to selectively erase memory.. specifically memory of traumatic events.. soon after a tragedy has occured.. you can take these pills.. and *zip!*.. no recollection of the horrors you've just witness.. we're apparently just on the tip of a huge mind-cocktail warping brain chemistry revolution.. zombie nation HEEEERE WE COME!
:: Spoz 4:06 AM |