:: Monday, February 23, 2004
random observations from the ADELAIDE FRINGE..
1. went to the bigtop style circus wacky in the east parklands Friday night, place chocka-block full of culture tourists.. soaking up the freak novelty.. of, well.. freaks.. apparently everyone in Adelaide wuz either where I wuz.. or at the Adelaide Uni hub.. soakin' up that live gig thing.. the rest of Adelaide.. a ghost town..
makes me think.. it should be like this ALL year 'round..
but y'know.. people need their footy.. so, that ain't gonna be a reality..
2. waiting in a huge lineup of standup comedians to the disabled toilets, because.. the ACTUAL men's toilet wuz guarded by security.. under the pretense there wuz something SO horrific in there, that the idea of men urinating near it.. would be considered too much a national security issue. Kinda makes me wonder WOT the hell would cause a men's toilet (of all places) to be blocked up.. wuz it a "prince albert" accident.. spontaneous human combustion (considering the food stalls, a direct possibility), anthrax poisoning, a nuclear bomb, vampires?
meanwhile.. women were happily waltzing in/out of their queueless toilets.. having a big 'ol laugh at us.. "oooo look, see how THEY take it for a change.. HAHAHAHAHHAHA"
some girl offered that I should just duck into the women's toilet.. and, me thinking "hey, why not! women go into OUR toilets ALL THE FREAKING TIME".. but before I could tho'.. I wuz stopped by that same security guarding the men's toilet.. the baaastards..
these same security.. were busting the more desperate as they attempted to scale fences to pee.. run to nearby trees.. dig holes.. etc..
seriously.. I thought we lived in a world of equality.. if women can go to OUR toilets when their's is too blocked up.. why can't we borrow theirs in time of need?
3. popped into the huge bigtop tent to catch this act from NEW YORK, some freak with an assortment of guitar pedals (mostly using hardcore reverb + some delay effects) playing various taped together flutes, mouth organs, megaphones.. etc.. to create a wall of sound weirdness.. mostly remiscent of gooses being auditioned for a cough drop ad in a swamp on a cold winter's night.. one song however sounded a LOT like MOBY would sue his arse if he heard it.. but, all in all - nice one dude! (and the hootin' drunks seemed to appreciate it..)
4. Saturday appeared to be the collective hangover from the FRINGE launch, with the winter's gloomy weather to match..
5. had the visual arts FRINGE LAUNCH thingy on Sunday.. and ya gotta love arts launches.. the free food, the free booze, the free freaks.. and for the first time.. an art gallery launch thing I DIDN'T GATECRASH to attend.. yup, for once I wuz actually a PART of this bastard as official sound guy with official shiny soundguy credentials.. walking around like I owned the place.. ahh ya gotta love that..
it's the easiest way to get ANY 'ol slob to support the arts tho'.. just shovel some free alcohol in their direction, offer them free food.. and when they're all sauced up and running amok.. prize open their checkbook.. (especially if they're rich.. and kinda guilty lookin')
for us art slobs.. we're hired for the cultural flavour..
and we can smell it from a mile off too.. flock like seagulls from miles around to snag all the free food n booze.. (in some cases, it's the ONLY thing these guys live on..), so you see a lot of crazy hobo types.. but hey, that's the arts.. never supported enough..
6. probably one of the funniest FRINGE events I heard of.. wuz this thing called "QUEUE".. basically 7 dudes.. roaming around the city, converging at random locations.. and forming queue's.. in the hope that a clueless public would assume it's a REAL queue.. and simply line up behind them. A few days ago, they were found in Rundle Mall.. forming a queue in front of someone reading a newspaper.. and then seen wandering around the visual arts launch.. causing mischief.. gotta love that..
now THAT's the kinda insanity I'd like to endorse.. (if only I had the cash... ;) )
anywaze.. that's all for now..
more random FRINGE observations later..
:: Spoz 6:52 PM |