:: Wednesday, April 23, 2003
WE'RE ALL DOOMED!! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!... WOT AGAIN? (YAWN) WHO CARES??
back in the Middle Ages it used to be crackpot preachers rantin' about Judgement Day.. y'know, the whole 4 horsemen of the apocalypse thing - the plagues, the famines, the wars, the death, the wicked being punished, the righteous finding salvation.. y'know the same 'ol bullshit.. it wuz this huge theatrical thing, they had it all - the morality plays, the struggle against good n evil, character arcs, silly hand puppets, parades thru the street..
but now it seems we don't need any outside biblical forces to wipe us out..
coz now we've got cosmological disasters and human stupidity to do the job instead..
(or perhaps just ONE american president if that don't work.. ;)
there's a certain lemming fascination with all this..
it's why those hollywood idiots keep making movies about 'em..
we LOVE to see ourselves get blown up and wiped out in zany and creatively disasterous ways..
anywaze, saw a report about this in the newspaper today..
so, lets update the nutty list of doom and gloom and have a good 'ol chuckle at how apparently fragile we are as a species..
1. SUPERVOLCANO's - apparently extra menacing lava ejectors.. there's a few of these puppies around the around, one of 'em in Yellowstone National Park in the USA.. if one of 'em erupted (and that one in Yellowstone is 40,000 years overdue..) then it'd spill enough ash and dust into the atmosphere to form a chockin' haze that'd block the sun enough to drop temperatures globally by a few degrees.. the result? a mini ice-age causing economies and populations to spin into turmoil..
2. EARTH ORBIT CROSSING ASTEROIDS / COMETS - an old favorite since it's got the whole Hollywood angle well covered.. the sneaky thing about these, is there's so MANY of the little suckers crossing earth's orbit with potential for collision.. yet we haven't discovered 'em all.. let alone have the infrastructure to accurately track 'em all.. so, chances are apparently greater to have Earth annihilated by one of these puppies, than for any one of us to win the lottery.. (if the asteroid is big enough, not only would it block out the sun with a dustcloud thus plungin' the world into an ice-age.. it could also knock Earth out've it's circular orbit.. either plungin' it dangerously close to the sun, or send it out into colder space) you'd kinda hope by the time when DOES cross our path we have a better strategy to divert or destroy them than our current method which simply involves throwin' nukes at 'em till it gets bored and goes away..
3. MAD SCIENCE / UNIVERSE ANNIHILATION - there's all sort's of wacky experiments going on, on a daily basis at various research labs around the world involving particle accelators and the like - making super dense elements, breakin' up atoms into smaller sub fragments, toying with the elemental nature of the universe... etc.. and apparently, there's also paranoia about the possible disasters that could be unleashed if one of these experiments goes wrong.. for instance, there wuz this experiment recently in a particle accelerator - where they tried to mimic the conditions of the big bang by firing superfast atomic particles at each other.. (probably hoping to find the tiny subatomic particles that constituted the pre-atomic universe.. y'know quarks n all that shit.. ). anywaze there wuz a possible theoretical risk.. that if this experiment went wrong, it'd unleash an out've control blackhole that'd swallow up the earth, or worse, cause a rift in the space-time continuum and unravel the universe.. I aint kidding ya.. scientists actually panic about this stuff..
4. GENETIC MANIPULATION / VIRUSES - currently popular, wot with the whole SARS epidemic.. is the fear that experiments in the lab on diseases, or genetic manipulation could go awry.. spread beyond the lab.. and do some serious bad mojo on the human population at large.. (I actually had this funny workin' theory in me head that the SARS virus.. is simply a chinese military experiment in germ warfare gone wrong.. not a new conspiracy really, since they say the same crap about AIDS - involving the US military etc.. etc.. ). The thing that really spooks me about the SARS virus tho'.. is apparently it's becoming even MORE virulent coz it's mutating all these extra effects, not only does it attack the respiratory system now.. it also attacks the intestines.. and causes organ failure.. makes ya wonder.. is it natural? or man made?? and could it grow large enough in it's scope to be a human species killer?
5. NANOTECHNOLOGY - here's another (yet more far fetched) wacky idea - they're currently workin' on developing viable nanotechology.. y'know.. the construction of ever tinier machinery and robotics down to smaller than a human hair.. (you see reports of 'em developing extra tiny gears, or experiments in creating tubes out've just atoms.. etc..). Anywaze, when functional nanorobots will be designed to use available source materials.. to replicate to a viable population task force, and then work to solve various problems.. whether they be industrial in nature or biological (moving inside our blood vessels to clean up clogs and fight disease for e.g).. the fear is.. when we develop this technology, tiny machines with the size and replicating ability of viruses.. we've gotta be extra careful in controllin' them.. if someone fucks up their implementation you could have a nanorobot outbreak.. a plague of tiny machines converting all available materials - humans, animals, buildings.. fuckit.. everything.. into making more nanorobots.. till, in the end.. the entire planet is nothing more than a blob of silver/grey nanorobot goo..
wot makes me laugh tho'.. is not the fact we're inventing more and more things to kill ourselves with..
but, that in the reportin' of such "fears".. we arrogantly believe we could have the conceivable power to not only wipe ourselves out completely with this technology.. but take out the entire planet, or universe in the process..
sure.. we're idiotic.. but, we're not THAT GOOD at being THAT idiotic..
my belief is.. humans.. as a species.. are just smart enought.. to get ourselves INTO trouble, at the same rate we get ourselves out've trouble..
thus maintaining that chaotic balance of our species...
idiots yes.. but GENIUS mass murdering idiots.. no..
I have more faith in our general incompetance.. ;)
for instance.. to take a classic example.. if we nuked the planet, with every available nuclear warhead.. sure, we'd wipe out a lot of civilization as we know it, probably take out a few animal species while we're at it, and sterilise the human population at large but, would it be possible to completely annihilate 6 billion people? even those hiding out in remote parts of the world? sure.. the radiation would could some horific mutations.. but in mutation we'd simply speed up evolution's roll of the dice.. for every million fatal mutations.. you'd get ONE lucky genetic tweak.. that'd allow people to survive anything.. hell.. we've been trying to kill plague proportions of rabbits here in Australia for YEARS.. and yet the suckers keep on coming.. the way I see it.. humans are the same.. you can kill MOST of us off.. but never all of us..
but still.. damn fascinated with this whole humans as lemming fixation in the media..
makes for some interestin' reading ;)
:: Spoz 6:05 PM |