:: Monday, February 17, 2003
- the highlights, the lowlights, the rabbit in your headlights
so, went to see PEARL JAM tonight.. something big to be sure, but.. a bit of an odd one. Considering the disaster that almost ended 'em at the Roskilde festival in 2000 (9 people died) they vowed to never again play an open air rock festival.. and seemingly, they only now do sit down gigs.. allocated seating.. which, when you think Pearl Jam and their legacy and one of the big Seattle grunge nuttas.. having a sit down gig.. is a seriously odd concept..
so.. here's some of the highlights, lowlights and rabbits in your headlights..
- downing four jugs of beer between the group of us before the gig, pissing like a racehorse when I finally got into the venue.. and ran to the toilets.. and the shitloads of wacky spring rolls I ate before the gig.. all nice stuff..
- headbanging like a loon, in the balcony seats whilst they played "Even Flow".. thinkin' nothing of it, till looking around at the stone still and all too politely static sitdown crowd.. I had to stop rockin'.. coz, I looked like an idiot..
- the polite applause after every song, how everyone wuz sitting down and motionless, when I hooted out like an idiot after each song I seemed like the loudest one there.. wuz this a commercial radio crowd? did they expect a night at the opera? were they wanting Simon & Garfunkle?? it's fokkin' PEARL JAM!!?? where wuz the MOSH PIT!!!??
- funny to see.. during the slow swaying songs, the few people in the crowd below.. holding up cigarette lighters.. in a vain attempt to create a sea of lights.. (but somehow, the people at this gig were so sedate.. even that didn't work..)
- friend of mine, she being a huuuuge PEARL JAM fan.. wuz bare inches away from starting a brawl, coz.. being so excited about Pearl Jam (and hoping one day to bear Eddie Vedder's children) she wuz standing up thru most of the songs.. and rocking away. People behind her were screaming homicidal at her for being "rude" enough to do it.. despite the fact, it wuz a fokkin' ROCK CONCERT.. seriously if you're not gettin' into it.. up there standin' up and rockin'.. you might as well go home and listen to it on CD (and we were in the balcony seats.. which slanted down towards the stage, so it's not like you couldn't easily see the band, if you stood up y'self.. and joined in on the energy).
We still found the situation to be awfully volatile tho' (people were muttering death threats passed on from a few rows up, all wanting her blood).. so, there we are.. as subtlely as possible hoping to defuse her tickin' bomb situation.. (she stayed standing up regardless..). At least it made for some comically volatile energy in an otherwise sedate gig..
- this may just be my take on it.. but it really looked like Eddie Vedder (lead singer) wuz slobbering drunk thru most of the gig.. he had a nice bottle of red wine with him.. with he proceeded to swig from, during the night.. as the night wore on, this made his playing funnier and funnier to watch..
- the nutty ukulele song he played near the end of the set (last song on the BINAURAL album).. by then he wuz so drunk.. he could hardly remember the words.. kept muttering "fuck" everytime he forgot something.. although, considering the original song.. perfectly in keeping with the vibe..
- the usual rock band antics.. Eddie climbing up on the speaker stacks, passing his 1st bottle of red into the crowd at the front to take a swig at, throwing drumsticks and tamborine's into the crowd.. the idiotic sing alongs.. this sorta crap happens in most gigs.. but, still fun to watch..
- the politically slanted intersong chatter.. the big sing along of "All we are saaaaying.. is give peace a chaaance".. the silly George W Bush mask worn during the "Bushleager" song.. the crowd booing when Eddie mentioned John Howard (our joke of a Prime Minister..).. it's cheesy.. but still a fun raised middle finger to the establishment..
- me continually puzzled that people stayed in their seats for most of the gig.. and just politely watched..
- the ridiculous number of encores the band did, before finally leaving the stage.. the final song "Rocking in the Free World" played with all the house lights on.. and bringin' the roof down..
- our group somehow managing to escape the venue alive.. despite death threats being made from rows behind us.. over our "#1 standing fan" (once again proving.. the crowd at the place were seriously bizarre..)
anywaze.. all in all.. a good gig..
just a damn pity of couldn't get a damn good mosh and jump around from it..
coming up next, GROOVE ARMADA and MOBY..
damn it's good to be in Adelaide right now ;)
:: Spoz 1:17 AM |