:: Sunday, November 03, 2002
so... apparently we played a another live gig last night..
here's my mindless summary (for those who missed it)
1. it wuz held in some nutty community hall in the middle of nowhere.. (always a good sign). Before turning up last night, I wuz half expecting to find ourselves at a tiny little scout hall.. with maybe 5 people. I discovered I actually wasn't too far off the mark - a place slightly larger than a scout hall.. with maybe 10-15 people (dressed as Halloween characters..).
2. lots of DJ's.. pummeling out an unrelenting nonstop barrage of deep hard house.. um.. high NRG.. sort've 4 on the 4 stuff... y'know.. the usual techno kinda *DOOF DOOF* kinda stuff.. (never really found an exact genre for wot'ever it is they usually pummel out at these kinda raves.. ) they had a big thumpin' PA.. some nutty lights, lasers, a VJ projecting weird stuff onto the ceiling, smoke machines... assorted freaks..
3. After managing to clear a small space on the stage amongst all the DJ decks and effects units.. I positioned my tiny laptop setup.. and startin' crankin' out me own nonsense.. we played 2 sets - one much more sober and lo-fi funkin', the other - less easily remembered but more psychotically harder edged (3 hours.. and 6 beers later). Our set wuz most notable for (a) constantly blowing out the bass speakers (one of our trademark tricks), (b) the MC duckin' out for cigarette / toilet breaks, (c) a friend of ours complaining that our first set wuzn't hard n fast enough to dance to.. who then complained in the 2nd set, coz.. our set wuz TOO hard 'n fast.. (Muhahaha), (d) me periodically either going blind (and not being able to see the laptop controls) or deaf (and not hearing wot the hell I wuz mixing), (e) an overzealous dude on an effects unit nearby.. making all our stuff flange and echo in all sorts of weird and perverted psychedelic angles.. (kinda cool - YES, but also dizzy? - YOU BETCHA!), (f) realising that drinking CARLTON DRAFT is an exceedingly messy experience when trying to mix music live.. (cheers to Crazy Craig for his backstage "mopping up" of the desk area.. when one of my beers decided to overflow like crazy on me..)
4. lots of drunken novelty fun.. involving grabbing someones (a) viking horned helmet, (b) indian head-dress, (c) bunny suit head.. and then proceeding to dance like a demented loon on the dancefloor.. it's amazing how many times I did this.. till the fun wore off..
5. doing shadow puppet tricks in the wall projected VJ displays.. I wuz exceptionally proud of my german shepherd impersonation..
6. some dude, early on in the night.. did an exceptional slamdance on a table.. destroying the table in the process.. (during my live set too.. ). I wuz rather proud of their effort.. even if it did throw me off me live set for a brief moment.. due to me trying not to laugh too hard..
7. lots of aimless wandering around the highways nearby, somewhat fueled by the alcohol.. dropping potato chips over the bridge on passing cars.. peeing on street signs.. and wondering wot the hell we were doing standing outside in the wind 'n rain. I also once accidently managed to stop a car by pretending to be a hitch-hiker.. at which stage I fled into the undergrowth.. until they left..
8. sitting in car with a bunch of dudes... listening to Bob Marley.. doing very LOUD Jamaican MC impersonations.. and wondering how the car could be less smoke filled under those conditions.. than the hall.. which at that time, wuz so filled with smoke machine, you couldn't even see the floor..
9. wondering why the hell a DJ wuz still playing a set of hardcore NRG stuff.. when, by that stage (7AM) no-one wuz on the dance floor and mostly everyone wuz passed out.. (or wish they did a few hours earlier..) also wondering how that one last crazy chick.. could still dance like a crazy hardcore freak at 7AM.. when everyone else could barely walk..
yup.. it wuz a nutty gig.. and my feet are killing me..
(my brain still hasn't quite checked in yet..)
but.. y'know.. they're good if you can get 'em.. ;)
:: Spoz 4:43 PM |